Today’s menu of recipes comes from AAA Five-Diamond Resort Hotel award recipient, Kohler Waters Spa at The American Club in the village of Kohler, Wisconsin. Chef Ulrich Koberstein, group director of the culinary arts for both The American Club Resort and in St. Andrews, Scotland, shares his healthy recipes for a low-calorie, heart-healthy, and low-sodium Whole Wheat Crepes with Bananas and Oranges; Cucumber and Watercress Soup, which is low carb, gluten free, low calorie, and low sodium; and cholesterol-lowering, low-sodium Pecan Chicken with Spicy Peanut Sauce.
Keeping the flavors pure, clean, and intense is important to Chef Koberstein (left). “I want my customer to taste what they order and not have their palate overwhelmed by a myriad of confusing flavors or spices,” he said. “Food combinations should complement each other and enhance the main ingredient to create culinary memories. I believe that passion for food is infectious.”
We hope you’ll develop strong feelings for these simple yet flavorful dishes like we have, and cook them up before or after your Wellness Week™ appointments!
BREAKFAST: Whole Wheat Crepes with Banana & Orange Ingredients (Serves 5; makes 15 8-inch crepes):
1 cup whole wheat flour 12 fl. oz. skim milk
¼ cup powdered sugar ½ tbsp vanilla extract
½ tsp salt 7 bananas
1 whole egg 5 oranges, zested and segmented
1 egg white 1 cup Greek yogurt
1 tsp salad oil
1. In a large bowl, mix the first 8 ingredients for the crepes until fully incorporated.
2. Heat a good quality nonstick pan with a non-flavored nonstick food spray over medium heat and pour crepe batter into pan. Wipe out the pan between each crepe with a dry cloth; this will ensure that the crepes are a nice golden brown color and do not burn.
3. The crepes will be ready after they start to color in the pan, approximately 30-45 seconds per side. Allow them to cool before assembling.
4. To assemble the crepes, add approximately ¼-½ banana and 3 orange segments per crepe. Sprinkle some orange zest, then roll the crepe up, serving three per plate. Top with a dollop of Greek yogurt.
LUNCH: Cucumber & Watercress Soup Ingredients (Serves 8-10):
6 large cucumbers – peeled, seeded, cut into 2” quarters
3 cups yogurt
1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
3 bunches watercress, stems removed and roughly chopped
1 tsp white wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine cucumber, yogurt, mint, cilantro, jalapeño pepper, watercress, and white wine vinegar in a large bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
2. In small batches, blend all of the ingredients in a blender until completely smooth.
3. Combine batches and stir well. Refrigerate until the soup is cold.
4. Serve in large soup bowls. Garnish with small diced cucumbers and fresh herbs used to make the soup.
DINNER: Pecan Chicken with Spicy Peanut Sauce Ingredients (Serves 4):
For the Pecan Chicken
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1-1¼ pounds), trimmed
½ cup pecan halves or pieces
¼ cup plain dry bread crumbs
1½ tsp freshly grated orange zest
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground chipotle pepper
1 large egg white
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp canola oil, divided
For the Peanut Sauce
½ cup chunky peanut butter 2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp peeled and minced ginger root 3 tbsp sesame oil
⅓ cup canned chicken broth ⅓ cup half and half
2 tsp honey 1 tbsp minced garlic
¼ cup soy sauce
For the Pecan Chicken
1. Cut the chicken into strips. Place pecans, breadcrumbs, orange zest, salt, and ground chipotle pepper in a food processor and pulse until the pecans are finely ground.
2. Transfer the mixture to a shallow dish.
3. Whisk egg white and water in a separate shallow dish until combined.
4. Dip each piece of chicken in the egg white mixture, then dredge both sides in the pecan mixture.
5. Heat 1½ tsp canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add half the chicken and cook until browned on the outside and no longer pink in the middle, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
6. Carefully wipe out the pan with a paper towel and add the remaining oil. Cook the remaining chicken, adjusting the heat as needed to prevent scorching. Serve immediately.
For the Peanut Sauce
1. In a bowl whisk together all the ingredients until combined well.
2. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve on the side.