A very pregnant Victoria Beckham's sky high Louboutin pumps.
Does it seem like high heels are higher than ever to anyone else? From the sky-high platforms Lady Gaga can be seen wearing at the airport to the six-inch pumps that a pregnant Victoria Beckham had custom-designed by Christian Louboutin for her Royal Wedding ensemble, ladies all over are rocking really high heels. And while a sexy heel can make your legs look great, there are obvious risks (aside from stumbling) associated with wearing impractical foot gear. Heels can be tough on legs, calves in particular and can put a huge amount of pressure on the ankles, toes and the balls of the feet. A 3 ¼-inch heel increases the amount of pressure placed on the forefoot by 76 percent. There are a bevy of spa services that can aid in remedying the issues caused by hiking in heels, providing ladies a little relief from the foot-numbing pain caused by their pumps.
Give your feet a break!
Check out some of the spas across the country that are accommodating fashionistas with an aversion to flats with reflexology, sumptuous pedicures and more:
- The Spa at Trump Soho—This ancient art utilizes strategic pressure points located on the hands and feet that correspond to organs and systems of the body via the nervous system. Your entire body will benefit as you experience an overall renewal of vitality and strength. 246 Spring St, New York, NY (212) 842-5500
- Mohonk—This traditional technique targets pressure points on the feet that relate to specific areas of the body. With each point revitalized, tension melts away and a heightened sense of wellbeing is felt throughout the body. 1000 Mountain Rest Rd., New Paltz, NY (800) 772-6646
- Bliss—A soul-scientific ancient Chinese blend of foot massage. National locations.
- Yelo Spa NYC—Yelo has SEVERAL reflexology treatments to treat different ailments and different parts of the body. 315 West 57th St, New York, NY (212) 245-8235
- The Spa at The Setai South Beach—Thai Style Foot Reflexology: Firm pressure is used to stimulate the reflex points in the feet. Float into deep relaxation for a divine sense of balance and wellbeing. 2001 Collins Ave., Miami Beach, FL (877) 885-2513
- The Maui Spa & Wellness Center— A relaxing form of natural healing that involves massaging specific pressure points of the feet that all body organs are connected to. Improves circulation, releases tension and promotes positive health. 2100 NW Boca Raton Blvd, Boca Raton, FL (561) 395-7733
- Spa Toccare at The Borgata—Based on the ancient Eastern therapy of acupressure, pressure is applied to nerve endings in each foot, encouraging improved circulation to each and every single gland, organ and part of the body. A truly balancing experience. May be booked alone or in combination with another treatment for a decadent experience. One Borgata Way, Atlantic City, NJ (609) 317-7555
- Lapis The Spa at Fontainebleau—Foot massage is an ancient art, using gentle strokes and pressure on reflex points to help relieve foot pain and reduce inflammation. Extra pampering includes warm paraffin mitts on hands and feet. 4441 Collins Ave., Miami Beach, FL (800) 548-8886
- Rancho La Puerta—Your therapist applies pressure to specific point on the feet to influence the health of corresponding parts of the body. ‘Pressure sensors’ on the feet connect with different parts of the body, and as reflexology techniques stimulate these sensors, waves of relaxation are sent throughout the body to aid health and encourage relaxation, prevent disease, reduce pain and improve quality of life. Baja California Tecate, MX (877) 440-7773
- Spa Montage—The Spa Montage Pedicure: An ultraluxurious pampering of your toes while benefiting from the therapeutic effects of Dead Sea salt soaks and algae masks, as well as aromatherapy—all leading to rejuvenated feet, feeling re-mineralized and light as a feather.Laguna Beach, CA, Park City, UT, or Beverly Hills, CA
- Kohler Water Spa—Golfer’s Foot Renewal: The perfect treatment after a day on the course. Includes a relaxing pedicure, spirulina algae mud mask and soothing foot massage to restore tired muscles and re-energize your spirit. 501 Highland Dr., Kohler, WI (920) 457-8000
- Kohler Water Spa—Chardonnay Pedicure: Experience the healthy benefits of grape seed. Your feet are exfoliated and massaged with chardonnay-infused scrub and body butter. The grape-seed extract contains antioxidant compounds that stimulate the renewal of cells and collagen. 501 Highland Dr., Kohler, WI (920) 457-8000
- Kohler Water Spa—Neat Feet Pedicure Signature Treatment: This restorative treatment re-energizes overworked feet with a warming salt scrub exfoliation. Warm stones are placed between the toes to soothe and relax. 501 Highland Dr., Kohler, WI (920) 457-8000
- Canyon Ranch SpaClub at The Venetian at The Palazzo—Foot Rescue!: This therapeutic, invigorating treatment for feet begins with a soothing foot bath in herbal salts. Your technician will focus on the three C’s of wear and tear—calluses, corns, and cracked dry skin. The health of your feet and nails will be restored. 3355 Las Vegas Boulevard, Las Vegas, NV, (866) 708-7783
Specialty Leg and Foot Treatments:
- Kohler Water Spa—Foot and Leg Treatment: Great for tired, achy feet and legs. This treatment is done in the private pedicure suite. It begins with a relaxing foot soak infused with marine-based salts, followed by a thorough exfoliation and an effleurage massage of the feet and legs. 501 Highland Dr., Kohler, WI (920) 457-8000
- Lapis The Spa at Fontainbleau—Energizing Foot and Leg Rub: A cooling, relaxing and energizing treatment for overtired legs and feet. 4441 Collins Ave., Miami Beach, FL (800) 548-8886
- Rancho La Puerta—Happy Hands and Feet: Communication with the whole body through the hands and feet creates a special relationship that can be used for the purpose of stress reduction, energy savings and building greater body awareness. You’ll derive total relaxation from our combination of reflexology and hand massage. A warm finishing paraffin dip leaves your hands and feet satiny smooth and soft. Baja California Tecate, MX (877) 440-7773
- Mohonk—High Heeler: Real Relief for Calves and Feet: Bring a spring back into your step with this new spa treatment that addresses the needs of being on your feet day-in and day-out. From extended hours on the job, to caring for the kids and running around town, the lower legs provide support and literally carry the weight of daily demands. An invigorating foot scrub and peppermint-infused massage leaves soles soothed and smoothed. Real results are achieved through massage and stretch techniques specific to the calves and feet, providing benefits felt from the hips to the toes. 1000 Mountain Rest Rd., New Paltz, NY (800) 772-6646
- Jinsoon—Magic Clay Slipper: Sometimes your hands and feet need a facial too! Renew your skin with our pure clay treat. The vigorous scrub will impart a healthful glow and the mimosa fig mask will soften skin. Indulge! 421 East 73rd St., New York, NY 10021
- Canyon Ranch SpaClub at The Venetian at The Palazzo—Healthy On Your Feet: If you experience foot, ankle or knee pain related to long periods of standing, this focused foot and lower leg massage may enhance your blood flow to your muscles, reduce inflammation and relax your entire lower body. 3355 Las Vegas Boulevard, Las Vegas, NV, (866) 708-7783
- Canyon Ranch SpaClub at The Venetian at The Palazzo—Canyon Ranch Signature Foot & Lower-Leg Rejuvenation: Take time to enjoy the ultimate in instant relief for feet from the effects of travel and too much standing. This luxurious service includes a warm herbal soak, followed by deep oscillation, and concludes with an extended foot and leg massage to leave you walking on air. 3355 Las Vegas Boulevard, Las Vegas, NV, (866) 708-7783
- Canyon Ranch SpaClub at The Venetian at The Palazzo—Healthy in Heels: If you often trade comfort for fashion, this treatment is for you. Your therapist will concentrate on your trouble zones using delightful herbal products, expert massage and gentle stretching to soothe and revitalize. Your feet will be happy and fashionable at once! 3355 Las Vegas Boulevard, Las Vegas, NV, (866) 708-7783