by Shane Diet, Weight Loss and Fitness Resorts
Theories and opinions are all around us on how to lose weight, gain weight, get stronger, lose fat, and gain muscle. The latest hot topic is how to speed up an individual’s metabolism. Our metabolism is defined as: “the sum of the physical and chemical processes in an organism by which its material substance is produced, maintained and destroyed, and by which energy is made available.”
A common reason for individuals who seek to increase their metabolism is that it allows them to eat more and/or exercise less. Making a single small change to increase your metabolism will not generally result in significant increases, but if you make small changes collectively you can create a positive effect towards increasing your metabolism.
As a personal trainer and the Program Director for Shane Diet & Fitness Resorts in San Antonio, I can share the tried and true top 5 ways to increase your metabolism:
1. Fluctuating your caloric consumption. Sticking to the exact same number of calories every day allows the body to cruise along and does not create any stimulation of energy burn. If you switch it up a bit from time to time, the body has to adjust to the varied caloric input and this in itself requires energy. Some people choose to do this daily, while others choose weekly. The only rule of thumb is to fluctuate your caloric input as a regular practice, forcing the body to continually adjust so as not to allow Homeostasis to occur.
2. Increase your protein intake. Another tool for revving up the old metabolism is to increase your protein intake. The body burns up to 30% more calories or energy to break down protein.
3. Lifting weights. Gaining muscle also increases metabolism. Lifting weights requires a bit more protein consumption to gain muscle.
4. Consuming the right carbohydrates. By choosing foods low on the glycemic index scale, high in fiber, and unprocessed it requires an increase in energy for the body to power the process of extracting the nutrients.
5. Doing little things you never thought about before. Park further out in the parking lot increasing the distance you walk to the office, take the stairs instead of the elevator, standing at your desk for at least one hour throughout your day. This alone can increase your calorie burn by 60 calories that hour! Changing your beverage of choice from soda to water can save some individuals as much as 600 plus calories a day.
Through multiple small changes you can see where big changes can be made. As with anything it takes discipline and a desire to do things different with the take home prize overall better heath. In our Behavior Coaching classes with our guests we often talk about the changes necessary when the guest goes home to be successful and we always talk of the small changes that together can have a dynamic impact on one’s life.
Come on, what changes can you make today to jump start your metabolism? I dare you to try!!